If you’ve been hearing a bit about the Lap band and have questions, you are not alone. Many people have heard the name, yet have no clue what the Lap Band is, how it works, or even its intended purpose. This article is here to change that, and provide you with 6 great Lap Band Houston facts important to know.
- The lap band is placed around the top of the stomach. It is an inflatable band, and with it in place a small pouch is created. When a person eats, the food accumulates in the pouch so that only a small portion is actually digested.
- When users have the lap, band placed in their stomachs, they do not feel hungry. It is used in combination with gastric bypass surgery. Users eventually learn to feel fuller faster and after eating smaller food portions.
- The cost of the lap band procedure varies, and several factors impact these costs. On average, a patient can expect to spend just under $10,000 for the surgery.
- The lap band is adjustable so it can easily be modified depending upon dietary habits, and to reduce dependence upon the band.
- There are minimal risks associated with the use of the lap band. Your doctor will discuss the pros and cons of the procedure ahead of time, and help determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. Remember, the lap band is a foreign object being placed into the body, so the potential for complications is there.
- The lap band is generally not a first option for weight loss, and is used only for obese patients who’ve been unsuccessful losing weight via conventional methods. Your doctor will help determine if the lap band might be a solution right for your needs.